To provide Microsoft Windows platform management, configuration, design, training and expertise. Microsoft platforms may include Active Directory and Exchange as well as Windows servers of various flavors.
Systems Administrators have a very similar skill set and are often called upon to administer systems hosted on Windows platforms. Examples of such systems include SQL servers, Exchange and/or Citrix.
Server Administrators can specialize in numerous platforms. They can include Windows, Linux and AIX.
Network Administrators provide telecommunications support. However, many organizations also include server support and systems support duties in this role. According to our research as many as 25% of network administrator roles involve server and systems support whilst the remaining roles require more traditional routing and switching knowledge and skills.
- Provide Microsoft Windows Server operating system support.
- Monitor server performance and availability.
- Ensure Windows server availability compliance to Service Level Agreements.
- Address operational systems issues including file and share permissions, user accounts and installing applications.
- Promote and maintain server patch management practices.
- Liaise with vendors, suppliers and professional services.
- Provide metrics for capacity management purposes.
- Troubleshoot and diagnose hardware and software issues .
- Apply operating system updates, patches and configuration changes.
- Support and maintain Active Directory.
- Support and configuration of Group policy.
- Provide Windows Exchange Email Server Support.
- Perform software and hardware firmware upgrades.
- Participate in disaster recovery testing.
- Situational Analysis
- Customer Consideration
- Developing Self and/or others
- Managing Tasks
- Specific Technical Knowledge
|83%||Demonstrated knowledge and experience with Microsoft Server|
|50%||Demonstrated knowledge and experience with Active Directory|
|50%||Understanding of Change Management frameworks such as ITIL|
|42%||Demonstrated knowledge and experience with Exchange Mail|
|33%||Excellent written and oral communication skills|
|33%||Familiarity with network infrastructure|
|25%||Experience and understanding of patch management|
|8%||Familiarity with Backup software and strategies|
The following salary indicators were found for this role;
|Role||Roles Not Requesting a Degree||Roles Requesting a Degree||Top End|
|Systems Administrator Salary||$80K - $93K||$88K - $112K||$130K|
|More salary details here.|
|More qualifications details here.|
|Contract Rates||Insufficient Data||Insufficient Data|
In addition to outstanding technical knowledge of the Information System, an excellent administrator also has an understanding of related fields such as change management, risk management, client communications and service level agreements.
This role is well suited to technically minded individuals with strong communication and team work skills.
Windows administrators can begin to feel as though there is little or no more to learn once operational tasks start to become repetitive and not challenging. Employers may seek to keep work life interesting by providing variations of work. For example, project work, team leader work or as a trainer.
No advantage alert detected.
More Technical Job Descriptions here.
|Tech JDs||Technical Skills||Top IT Salaries||Server Admin JD|
|Systems Admin JD||Network Admin JD||Hot Qualifications||Customer Service Skills|